Ya ya, I know. Everyone has seen the black lemonade recipes all over. Well guess what? This is not that recipe. Thank you to The Republic of Tea for providing the tea for this recipe and zero waste canister options! Check the main post for the entire review!
Went I was looking for a great morning detox, I collected several recipes I loved. Decided to create my own Wake-Up-and-Go drink!
Detoxing. One of those words that people often vaguely explain. Let me say this real quick. Our bodies do a great job detoxification all on their own. This is not intended to detox you, as I am not generally considered your liver. This can have a laxative effect, so be sure to ask your doctor about it before you go, excuse my honesty, all in.
I wanted this recipe to embody something dark, yummy but at the same time, loaded with good-for-me-things. I hope you enjoy! Feel free to tweak it however you like!
Dark Tempest Tea Recipe
-One bag of black tea
-1 tsp of activated charcoal
-1/2tsp of turmeric
-1/2 tsp of macca root powder
-1 tsp of bentonite clay
-1 tsp of black strap molasses
-1-2 drops of homemade vanilla extract or other flavor of your choice
-fresh herbal stevia leaf or other sweetener of your choice, to taste
Mix it up! Blending sometimes helps, adding ice is super fun. Make it yours! Feel free to add in or subtract whichever ingredients you like! I love all of these and here's why:
- Black tea: helps give me a pep to my step but doesn't wire me up like coffee can.
-Activated charcoal has been rumored to treat overdoses. The reasons behind believing that charcoal detoxes, not your cubes in the grill BTW, is that it absorbs toxins. This can be semi-true! It actually could absorb almost anything it comes into contact with in your digestive track. It is not recommended that you ingest any charcoal within 4-5 hours of taking any medications or supplements, unless you want to take the chance of it being absorbed and thus, ineffective. Again, ask your doc. This recipe doesn't boast a large amount of charcoal, not as much as clinically believed to absorb things, but better safe than sorry.
- Turmeric is amazing, it helps with inflammation and so much more. I try to add turmeric to everything.
- Macca Root, known to give energy and act as a libido enhancer. This is something I put in my coffee every morning and I am in love.
- Bentonite clay also boasts amazing detoxing benefits according to many. Also, generally reacts the same way as AC. So ask your doc.
- Black strap molasses. If you haven't experienced this gem, buckle up. It's the heavy hitter in the world of sweeteners now a days. Winning over honey any day in a bad a$$ vegan way, it has a very high amount of all kinds of good things! I use it in ANY recipe that 'needs' honey.
- Homade (or store bought) flavoring. The reason I PREFER homemade is I generally make mine from herbs, thus incorporating even more goodness. I love fenugreek (maple syrup type taste) and vanilla. That's just me.
- For optional added sweetness, real green powdered stevia is great but any sweetener will do. Either way it spikes your body's reaction to sweet things so it's not like one is really better here. I do love the herbal taste, almost slight mint taste, to REAL herbal stevia.
That is it, peeps! Make it and pop it up on the social medias with the tag 'thesmartgirlinpants' so I can see it! I would LOVE that!
Get your drink on,
The Smart Girl in Pants
The Smart Girl in Pants